Search

Friday, April 30, 2010

Refusing the Call to Adventure

Before we go over the refusal of adventure, we should probably go over the actual adventure in The Landing. The adventure in The Landing consists of...
sorry, I need some time to think this over. It's hard to find something exciting in a book that sucksssssss.

Okay, I got it. The adventure in this novel is Ben's journey is getting out of the Landing (cottage land) and into the city life. Ben refuses this adventure. He never even tries. How exciting. A bratty, stingy, inconsiderate, depressed, annoying, overdramatic, pessimistic 16 year old says no to his adventure- the entire time.

"I can't get out"

...great. THANKS FOR WRITING A NOVEL ENTIRELY BASED ON DEPRESSION AND THE REFUSAL OF DOING SOMETHING EXCITING. IT MAKES FOR AN EXCITING READ EVERY SINGLE TIME. I LOVE THE LANDING, IT MAKES ME HAPPY WHEN I READ IT.
Let's backtrack now. "...ENTIRELY BASED ON DEPRESSION..." (Spanish Blog, Woodley). Smoking is linked to depression and mental conditions in a very large way. 90% of schizophrenics smoke, and over 50% of depressed people smoke. Clearly, the author is trying to make anyone who reads his novel begin a life shortening habit by becoming depressed, and resorting to the nicotine in cigarrettes to become happy. Mr. Ibbitson is attempting to start a smoking epidemic through literature.

Sickening.

11 comments:

  1. I agree..........................................

    ReplyDelete
  2. anymore...............................................

    ReplyDelete
  3. wooow dylan you are very opinionated about smoking. But what does this have to do with refusing the call to adventure?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you asked. This discussion is much more constructive and intelligent than Cameron's rambling. You see, I feel that it important for the adventure to be accepted at some point in the story, but in this horrible excuse for a novel, the adventure never happens. I, Dylan Woodley, an avid reader, am very very very serious about the construction of the plot, and if there is no climax, no adventure, no nothin', then I become depressed. As I stated earlier, depression leads to smoking. So, although smoking is not directly related to the call to adventure, the fact that there is no adventure causes me to become a smokaholic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I, Dylan Woodley, an avid reader, am very very very serious about the construction of the plot, and if there is no climax, no adventure, no nothin', then I become depressed." And yet you continue to "read" and comment on this book? Hmmmm...... my question is why?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Online reviews bashing poorly written literature makes the world go round.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Sophia - I think this has a lot to do with the refusal of the call even though it is just a rant about smoking. He is explaining how in the book the kid becomes depressed and may start smoking (or did?) Then he becomes more depressed and continues to refuse his call to adventure.

    ReplyDelete