Search

Friday, April 23, 2010

Limiting Beliefs

The Landing is all about limiting beliefs. From beginning to end, the characters just can't stop talking about limiting beliefs. I mean, really, shut up! As interesting as it is, I don't want to read an entire book about how some bratty 16 year old whines every day because he is stuck in Muskoka.

"We have been living in cottage country all our lives. We can't get out."
A couple paragraphs later.
"Being stuck here sucks..."
A sentence later.
"Ugh"
A chapter later.
"Muskoka is like a box of chocolates. You're stuck."

As you can see, the authour has done everything in his power to make the novel as boring as possible. References to limiting beliefs can be a key into how the character feels about their ordinary world, but basing the entire novel on this makes the reader feel depressed and annoyed.

Maybe, instead of complaining all day, Ben should actually do something with his life so he can get out of his ordinary world. But wait. That would involve making money, and like Ben says, "money suckssss, people underpay me". Heartbreaking.

3 comments:

  1. I think this post is well written and gets the point across. The quotes you chose are very reflective of the characters personality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dylan, what a wonderful blog post! This really gets the point across, as Marilyn said. I'm dreadfully sorry you are not enjoying the book! Maybe some ice cream would help? Possible some comfort food? Or possibly a good Harry Potter book. Anywhooo, keep speaking Spanish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dylan, that was Persephone writing my last comment. Though I agree with some of her comments, I had to write my own. Dylan, you keep talking about how boring the Landing is because, among other things, the main character complains about his life, yet doesn't do anything to change it. Dylan, your blog is equally as boring to read for the same reason: you complain about this book so much, yet keep writing about it. Sorry, that was all I could think to say, because I had to comment on something on your blog.

    ReplyDelete