Search

Friday, March 26, 2010

Character Archetypes- The Missing Link

I'm sorry to do this, I really am. I have another post about The Landing. Don't feel as though you have to read this post, because I know how much everyone dislikes this book (RottenTomatoes.com rates it at only 4%). Nevertheless, until I read another book (so, like, 7 months), all my reading related posts will be about The Landing.

Now that I have caught (and most likely lost) your attention, I will get to the point of it. There are a number of archetypes that can be found in characters in many novels. Heroes, villains, sidekicks, you see them in stories all the time. You might be wondering, "Where is the hero in The Landing?", and to answer your question, Ben, the fiddle playing teenager is the hero. He fights villains and destroys evil on a daily basis (haha, no). Let's go down the list of archetypes, and associate each one with a character.

Hero- Ben, because 16 year old fiddle players were considered heroes in The Great Depression.
Mentor- Ben's mother, just because she is Ben's mom.
Threshold Guardian- Umm...
Herald- The Cold War
Shapeshifter- That one superhero that shapeshifts.
Shadow- Voldermort.
Trickster- Not that I laughed at the jokes or anything.

-Dylan

No comments:

Post a Comment